Our client, a $1B provider of enterprise hosting and managed services and a client of Symmetrics Group since 2010, was acquired in 2012 by a $20B global enterprise communication firm. After the acquisition, sales leadership sought to grow their business across their top 100 common customers.
The top 100 common customers represented more than $1B in annual revenue with a targeted growth rate of 10%. Growing the business across these customers would be achieved by:
- Integrating sales efforts and increasing team collaboration
- Bringing the best value propositions to the very best clients
- Taking share from the competition, while defending current revenue
- Leveraging collective customer relationships and expertise
- Expanding the distribution model & capacity
The objective was to bring the two account teams together (many for the first time) to develop an overall account strategy and value proposition, as well as a supporting account plan and action items.
Symmetrics Group Approach
Symmetrics Group developed and executed a 6-month approach to facilitate our client growing their business across the top 100 common customers. This approach included:
- Working with sales operations to finalize the account list and criteria for inclusion in the top 100 account program
- Developing an overall account planning program along with the tools and templates to be used before, during, and after the top 100 planning sessions
- Distributing pre-work to the teams (account profiles) and facilitating prep calls with account leaders to ensure productive account planning sessions
- Facilitating 100 one-day account strategy sessions over the course of 6 months
- Participating in account debrief and overall program cadence calls with sales leadership to monitor results and provide account and customer-level feedback to management
In 1st three months of the Top 100 account planning, our client closed $6m and created $70m in additional opportunities (with a goal of $80m in incremental growth). Symmetrics Group has since trained 5 internal client resources to continue with ongoing account planning sessions and reviews in 2014.