Our client is a global investment management firm dedicated to helping their clients achieve long-term success. Desiring the ability to move down market (in institutional retirement services) and knowing leadership must equip its sales force with the ability to hunt for new business in different segments, this company realized it needed to transform their sales system.As a result, they sought Symmetrics Group to lead this effort.
This leading Financial Services Company needed a new Sales System to enable it to move down market to target small business retirement plans. Concurrently, the company was changing its sales strategy to focus on selling through Advisorsinstead of directly to Plan Sponsors. These shifts required a sales transformation, with an increased emphasis on the ability for sellers to hunt in the small business segment.
Symmetrics Group Approach
Symmetrics Group conducted an assessment of the Sales organization and developed a series of recommendations to support the acceleration of the company’s new Go to Market strategy. Furthermore, Symmetrics Group was selected to drive the design, development, and execution of each of these Sales Transformation elements, including:
- Design, development, and implementation of a customer-alignedSales Process that was complementary with the larger organization’s sales initiatives. Symmetrics Group worked in tandem with the sales team to refine the sales process and provide better visibility of opportunities throughout all stages of the funnel. Deliverables included a custom Sales Process showcasing activities and customer evidence within each stage, updated Sales tools to help sellers increase the number of deals in their funnel, as well as their deal win rate, and a 2-day hands-on workshop to teach sellers how to leverage the new Sales Process and tools in their daily activities.
- Development of a cross-division, internal Lead Management Process to encourage the sharing of more leads internally and also to enhance the tracking and analytical capabilities to better understand the volume and win rate of internally referred leads. This process was designed to ensure smooth handoffs and consistent communications, as well as provide more intelligence around the most profitable and effective lead generation sources.
- Delivery of a 2-day Territory Management workshopto help sellers focus efforts and activities on high-potential Current and Qualified Advisors. Following the workshop, each seller shared his/her 6-month Territory Plan with division leadership, providing gap-to-goal strategies and tactics for achieving quota.
- The Sales Management FrameworkandCadence/Coaching playbookfor key sales activities aligned to the Sales Process and developed for both the current and future state organization. In addition to the tools, Symmetrics Group provided weekly coaching and guidance to the Sales leader, ensuring an increase focused on sales goal shortfall and activities necessary to close the gap.
- Alignment of Marketing initiatives to Sales priorities, including collaborative prioritization workshops to determine the scope and level of effort necessary to provide sellers with the Sales Process-aligned tools they needed to drive more sales volume, with higher win rates.
- Development of interim and longer-term Performance Management KPIs(both backward and forward looking) that can be used to monitor the organization’s sales health and identify potential issues early in the sales process. Effort also included the development of a Seller’s Dashboard and an Executive Dashboard to report out division sales health to key stakeholders. In addition, the Performance Management diligence included development of a set of requirements for use in the subsequent migration from the current CRM tool to Salesforce.com.
At the time of publishing, the Sales Transformation was only recently implemented, so sales growth results have yet to be realized. However, leading indicators of sales growth, such as the number of Advisor meetings and number of Advisor opportunities, have increased since the implementation of Sales Transformation components.